Vegas Life...

I work for Youth With A Mission located in the crazy city of Las Vegas. YWAM is an organization that trains and sends off missionaries to all parts of the world in countelss different ways. I am apart of the Mission Adventures staff here. Mission Adventures is a program that is designed to moblize the youth and introduce them to how God wants to move through them.

I am now the director of MA.

YWAM Las Vegas' main building now is called the Pier which is located in the poorest neighborhoods in Las Vegas; it is also where me and five other YWAM staff live. We are in this community to provide for the physical needs for the residents who live here as well as the spiritual needs.
http://www.ywamlasvegas.org/


Tuesday, March 16, 2010

tacos and revelations

So I was walking around the neighborhood with our college group that is here this week, doing community outreach where we just bless the neighborhood in whatever way whether that be by pulling out neighbor's weeks, praying for people or just praying for churches. We talked to Bishop Macintosh in his little store that sells odds and ends groceries like cereal, crackers and soda. I met him last week but got a weird vibe...I kinda looped him in with the other christians in the neighborhood that have church once a week in our neighborhood to feel good about themselves and then go home to their comfortable homes. He was telling our group how he grew up just a few blocks down and how God saved him from drugs so now he is a bishop at a church and he has this not for profit store that he serves the community with. He owns 6 houses that he turned into drug rehab houses, they can stay as long as they want..one guy has been there for 9 years. He is a super cool guy and it really imacted my group. They saw how devistated our neighborhood is and were questioning, as do I, what are all of these 37 churches doing here...there should be peace and love sweeping through the streets instead of despair, greed and lust. So I prayed for forgiveness that I had judged him, its cool to see people really loving on and serving our community. I want to go there every week and buy a taco there and build relationship with him, and maybe YWAM will be able to partner with him and his church to serve our community together. Everything he quoted was strait from the bible..super legit which astounded me to find in this neighborhood. I told him that I will bring by all of our groups by to meet him. When I got home I read 1st corinthians 4:5 which allined with my feelings,it says: so be careful not to jump to conclusions before the Lord returns as to whether or not someone is faithful. Forgive me god for judging this honest loving man of being selfish and lazy.

1 comment: